Wednesday 2 October 2013

How to get to the final ...

William Dempster, UK and Ireland champion speaker, delivered his winning speech at West Herts Speakers recently.

Just before William jetted off to Cincinnati, Ohio, to take part in the world finals, Anthony Nixon, VP Public Relations for West Herts Speakers, managed to ask him a couple of questions. Here's what William said ...

William Dempster, from HOD Speakers Club, delivering his winning speech at West Herts Speakers


William, how would you describe yourself?

I am a friendly, outgoing Scotsman who loves life and lives it to the full. I am a poet, a dreamer, an author and a schemer. I enjoy partying as well as the next man. As long as the next man is Oliver Reed and Martin Sheen. I yearn for adventure each and every day and my wild sense of humour normally finds some for me to devour, at every turn of the moon. I believe in self sufficiency so therefore run my own companies and grow all my own vegetables and fruit. This gives me my own 5 a day and potato vodka, as well as the tomato juice to mix it with. I hope one day to have a river and a mountain of my own so that I can grow my own Sunday lunches and Friday dinner.



Where were you born and brought up? 
In the Lowlands of Scotland, hitch hiking or cycling to the Highlands as much as possible.
I lived mainly in a small town called Carluke that is nestled on the high banks of the Clyde Valley. With its raging river, mountainous banks, deserted farmhouses and unspoilt woods it was a beautiful place to do the things that city folk only dream of.
Where do you live now? 
I live in Whetstone North London in a 19th Century Farmhouse that overlooks allotments, golf course and parkland. It is near enough to the underground for excursions into the West End that I have used as my playground for the last 34 years and far enough out to have a view and pub that feels like the country.


How old are you? 

42


What do you do for a living? 

I am the Managing Director of Law Dempster Security Ltd, an NSI Gold approved electronic security company. I also invest in properties and develop them myself with the help of my loyal engineers.


When did you join Toastmasters? 

2008


Why did you join Toastmasters? 

I was pestered by a badminton partner who was a founder member of the club I eventually joined in Stanmore. When he initially suggested it I ran for as many excuses as I could think. I had experience speaking in front of an audience before and had always made a complete pigs ear of it, except of course as a Best Man where I have been told I was pretty awesome. But serious public speaking filled me with dread and trepidation. It still does.


What do you most enjoy about Toastmasters? 

The camaraderie of a bunch of like minded folk who all have or had the same fear of public speaking and with support and humour overcome it to achieve victory over their weaknesses. 


How has Toastmasters benefitted you? 

It has made me more articulate, confident and appreciative of great speakers and presenters. It has given many friends and a new dream.


What advice do you have about speaking in public? 

Dive in with indulgent abandon. You will not sink when you have your fellow Toastmasters as a rubber ring and arm bands.


What advice do you have for would-be world champion speakers? 

Practise, practise, practise! Listen to evaluations and listen to your own instinct about who is right and who is wrong. Believe in yourself and have fun.


What next after the world championships? 

I want to travel, write, entertain, laugh, explore, fly, swim, rule the world. I believe a good speech not only changes someones mind or opinion but should be strong and meaningful enough to start a fire in those who hear it and eventually change the whole world.