Sunday 16 January 2011

The Warrior's Run



Suzanne Fergus undertook her first speech at West Herts Speakers this week and won the award for 'Best Speaker' of the evening...WELL DONE SUZANNE!

Speech 1 (4 to 6 minutes) is an ice breaker speech and the objectives are:
- to begin speaking before an audience
- to discover speaking skills you already have and skills that need some attention.
Here's a synopsis of Suzanne's experience:

THE WARRIOR'S RUN
A New Year and perfect time to go for it, my first speech at Toastmasters (West Herts Speakers), the Ice Breaker. My speech "The Warrior's Run" began with"1000 feet high it stands, this mountain called Knocknarae in my home town of Sligo in the West of Ireland."
After that I relaxed and enjoyed talking about the challenge I undertook 2 years ago when I ran the Warrior's Run. The speech set the scene, describing how the Warrior's Run originated and the legend of Queen Maeve who had her own army of warriors and is supposedly buried at the top of Knocknarae.
The race itself was full of excitement and support and getting to the top of the mountain was a real challenge and it hurt but the feeling at the top looking out to the Atlantic was knowing that it was all downhill after that.
So, the purpose of the Ice Breaker is to begin speaking before an audience and to discover speaking skills. I achieved my objectives to enjoy the speech. The evaluation later in the evening further boosted my confidence and was very positive with constructive feedback given.
One thing West Herts Speakers know about me is that "I am a warrior!"